Did you know? Over 40% of people have been bitten by an insect or mosquito while abroad.
So for a year-long adventure, it is essential to take insect bite protection with you. Insect bites can ruin your travels especially if they become infected. Read 10 ways to beat the bugs!
Lifesaving tips to avoid nightmare bites
1. Ask your doctor or a travel clinic for travel health advice 6-8 weeks before you travel and get any vaccinations you need. Bites can lead to dangerous insect-borne diseases such as Malaria and Dengue Fever.
2. Take a look at a planning tool like the Your Trip Planner, to ensure you take the right protection for the destinations you are planning to visit. Plan ahead and you will stay bite-free.
3. Mosquitoes and insects are attracted to sweat, so if you stay fresh and wash regularly it will make you a less attractive meal to insects! However, don’t try and mask smells with perfume or aftershave as this can also attract bugs.
4. A spray mosquito repellent that provides all-day protection should be packed before you go. Getting a repellent while you are there is no solution, as you could be bitten as you arrive off the flight. It is best to buy a repellent that is made in the UK and approved to work under the latest EU Biocidal Products Regulations 528/2012 (BPR). DEET repellents are best for malarial areas.
5. Choose clothing that does not attract insects. Light coloured, long-sleeved and loose-fitting clothing will give you the best protection. Dark colours attract insects.
Compact mosquito net with showerproof travel bag
7. After swimming, being caught in a rainstorm, or sweating after exercise, ensure you re-apply your insect repellent.
8. In malarial areas, avoid areas of stagnant water or lakes where mosquitoes and insects breed.
9. A fabric spray with a natural insecticide will keep insects off your tent, backpack and outdoor kit.
10. Staying in a hotel or hostel? Ask for a room on a higher floor and close doors and windows before dusk. Mosquitoes and sandflies tend to fly at lower levels.
Just 23% of 18-24-year-olds see insect repellent as an essential item to pack before their travels. Yet a mosquito repellent and mosquito net can be potentially lifesaving, helping you to avoid serious health problems.
Pyramid Travel Products are the leading experts in the manufacture of insect bite protection and travel health products. The first choice for travellers and adventurers, Pyramid has the protection you need for a safe and healthy gap year.
This article was written in partnership with Pyramid Travel Products